Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email
address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic
email to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

Pursuant to 119.12 (2), F.S., the custodian of public records is Hampton Peterson, 561.355.2996.

Go back to: Home / Frequently Asked Questions / Unified Family Court

Search Records Now

  • eCaseView
  • Search Official Records

FAQ: Unified Family Court


Divorce - (561) 355-6511

Divorce - with children

Divorce - simplified


Divorce Records


Divorce - with children
What is the Parent Stabilization Course?
Divorce - simplified
What is a simplified divorce?

It is a simple method to end a marriage, if all requirements are met.

What are the requirements that MUST BE MET for a simplified divorce?

You and your spouse:

  • Agree that the marriage cannot be saved
  • Have no minor or dependent child(ren) together and the wife is not pregnant at this time
  • Must have worked out:
    • How you will divide the property/joint assets
    • Who will pay what part of the money that you both owe (liabilities)
    • You are both satisfied with this division
  • One of you must have lived in Florida during the last six (6) months prior to filing
  • Agree that there will be no alimony support
  • Do not want any financial information other than that provided in the financial affidavits
  • Agreed to give up your right to trial and appeal
  • Are willing to go the Clerk & Comptroller’s office to sign the petition (not necessarily together)
  • Are willing to go (together) to a final hearing
  • Are aware of the following:
    • After the dissolution becomes final, neither party has any right to expect money or support from the other (except for what is included in the property settlement agreement)
    • You give up certain legal rights by using the Simplified Dissolution of Marriage procedure
Are we required to have an attorney?

No. However, if you have any legal questions about the process, property rights, tax consequences, etc., you should consult with an attorney prior to filing for a Simplified Dissolution of Marriage.

Where do we get the forms to file a Petition for Simplified Dissolution?
  • You can purchase and prepare forms online.
  • Go in person to a Self Service Center at any Clerk & Comptroller’s office.
  • Download them for free from at www.flcourts.org.
Where can we file a Petition for Simplified Dissolution?

A petition for Simplified Dissolution of Marriage may be filed with the Clerk & Comptroller’s office at any location.

What information do we need to bring with us to file with the court?
  • Picture identification (such as a driver's license)
  • Proof of Florida residency that one of you has lived in Florida for more than six (6) months prior to filing of the petition
  • Financial Affidavit
  • Notice of Social Security Number (each of you must complete a separate notice)
  • Marital Settlement Agreement (you will complete one agreement together)
What does it cost to file for a simplified divorce?

Please see Fees & Costs for the current filing fee.

How long will it take for my divorce to become final?

A hearing to finalize your divorce will be scheduled at the earliest possible date dependent upon the court's schedule. You and your spouse must both appear before the court on the scheduled hearing date.

What happens after the judge signs the Final Judgment?

The case is final. 

Mediation - (Chapter 44, Florida Statutes)
What is mediation?

An attempt to bring about a peaceful settlement or compromise through the objective intervention of a neutral party

What is family mediation?

This is a procedure to assist people who are separating, divorcing or dealing with matters arising after divorce, paternity, support or related matters to reach an agreement without the court making the decision for them.

Why is mediation used?

Advantages include:

  • An opportunity to cooperate for the best interests of all parties
  • A less expensive resolution than a trial since expenses involved in trial preparation (such as witness and evidence subpoenas and other fees) can be avoided or minimized
  • Disputes can be resolved in a timely manner with only one court meeting
  • The agreement is final when both parties agree that the settlement is fair
  • This agreement must be signed and will be incorporated into a Final Judgment
  • Privacy for both parties is protected by avoiding the publicity of a trial
What cases can be mediated?

Florida laws define the cases that can be mediated.  Issues may include:

  • Parenting plans, time-sharing and child support
  • Alimony or spousal support
  • Divisions of assets and liabilities
Divorce Records
How can I obtain copies of my divorce records?

Copies of a final judgment of dissolution of marriage filed in Palm Beach County are available from the Clerk's Records Service Center. You may obtain the Official Records book and page number by searching the Official Records online.

Per Supreme Court order, images of these documents are not available online if they were filed after 2002. If your divorce was filed in another county or state, you must search the records in that county or state.



Contact Information

(561) 355-2996
Email Us
Fees & Costs
E-Newsletter Sign Up
Self Service Center
Time-Saving Tips