Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email
address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic
email to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

Pursuant to 119.12 (2), F.S., the custodian of public records is Hampton Peterson, 561.355.2996.

Go back to: Home / Frequently Asked Questions / Unified Family Court

Search Records Now

  • eCaseView
  • Search Official Records

FAQ: Unified Family Court

Name Change (Florida Statute 68.07)

Unified Family Court  - (561) 355-6511

How do I change my name (not related to a divorce action)?
  • You must file a Petition for Change of Name (Minors, Adult or Family) that can be obtained:
  • You may choose to hire an attorney.
  • You must pay a filling fee; see Fees & Costs for the current amount.
  • You are required to include a set of fingerprints taken by an authorized provider, which will then be used for a criminal history background check, before the final court hearing. The fee for the background check is $43.25.
  • Your name is officially changed when the judge grants your petition and signs an order.
Do I need to file a separate name change petition for each person in my family?

No. All names can be changed by completing one form. This should be completed as part of your case.

Is the fee for the criminal history background check included in the filing fee?

The $43.25 is charged by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) and is separate from the filing fee. The sheriff also charges $10 for the electronic fingerprinting - private providers may charge more. 


Contact Information

(561) 355-2996
Email Us
Fees & Costs
E-Newsletter Sign Up
Self Service Center
Time-Saving Tips