Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email
address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic
email to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

Pursuant to 119.12 (2), F.S., the custodian of public records is Hampton Peterson, 561.355.2996.

Go back to: Home / Frequently Asked Questions

Search Records Now

  • eCaseView
  • Search Official Records

FAQ: Public Records


Recording - (561) 355-2991

Process to Record a Document

Requirements for Recording a Document


Documentary Stamps/Taxes


Will Call Box



Process to Record a Document

What documents can be recorded?

The Recording Department records a variety of documents, including but not limited to:

  • Deeds
  • Bills of sale
  • Agreements
  • Mortgages
  • Notices or claims of lien
  • Other instruments relating to the transfer, ownership, encumbrance of or claims against real property or any interest in it

Refer to Florida Statute 28.222 (3) for additional details.

How can I record a document?

What is the mailing address?

By regular mail, the address is

Clerk & Comptroller
P.O. Box 4177
West Palm Beach, FL 33402

By express mail, the address is

Clerk & Comptroller
205 N. Dixie Highway, Room 4.2500
West Palm Beach, FL 33401

Requirements for Recording a Document

What are the requirements to submit a document for recording?

  • Your document must be formatted correctly:
    • A blank space must be available on the top right corner of each page of your document for the Clerk & Comptroller’s official Recording Stamp.
    • The first page must have a 3 inch by 3 inch space.
    • All other pages must have a 1 ½ inch by 3 inch space.
  • A self addressed postage paid envelope must be provided if recording hard copy documents. It is not necessary to supply one envelope per document if all documents are to be returned to the same address, provided envelopes and postage meet the U.S. Postal Service guidelines.
  • Documents will ONLY be distributed to other parties if a self-addressed, postage-paid envelope for each party is included with the request. Otherwise, all documents will be returned to the party submitting the document for recording.
  • You must pay the required fees. See Fees and Costs.

The Clerk & Comptroller's office is unable to accept modified, certified copies of any document for re-recording. We will not record an uncertified copy of any document, with or without changes. If you need to record a document which has changes from the original, please provide either a new document or make the modification to the original document.

Can the Clerk & Comptroller reject a document?

Yes. Documents that may be rejected include:

Florida Statutes specify what documents may be recorded and the legal requirements for documents (such as signatures that require notarization).

Why did I not get my documents back after they were recorded?

Self-addressed, stamped envelopes are required for hard copy documents submitted for recording. See mailing fees chart for more information..


What is a “Notice of Commencement” and who must sign it?

  • Florida law requires a “Notice of Commencement” to be recorded by the county and/or city before activities begin (such as renovations, building of a pool, etc.)
  • Only the owner can sign this document for recording.

What is a “Sale/Transfer of Real Property” DR-219 form?

Effective June 1, 2008, customers will no longer complete the DR-219 Form (Return for Transfers of Interest in Real Property) when submitting a document for recording.

Documentary Stamps/Taxes

What documents require State Documentary Stamps?

  • Bonds
  • Deeds / all conveyances
  • Notes and written obligations to pay money
  • Mortgage, liens and other evidence of indebtedness

Additional information is available online at from the Florida Department of Revenue.

When is intangible tax required?

Obligations to pay money involving real estate


Where can I find out about fees?

What is an Abstract Fee? FL Statutes 703.01 & PBCC Resolution #2004-2566

An Abstract Fee is required if the document references legal descriptions pertaining to real estate.

  • Each block or section of land in a metes and bounds description or a building, unit, lot tract, etc. constitutes a legal description.
  • See Fees and Costs

What is a Search (Look up) Fee?

A Search Fee is required if the document to be recorded does not contain a legal description, but sites a book and page number and/or or a Clerk’s File Number.

Will Call Box

How do I set up a Will Call Box?

  • Will Call is only available at the Main Courthouse.
  • Call the Recording Department at (561) 355-2991
  • In person at the Main Courthouse. The Recording Department is located on the 4th Floor, Room 4.2500.
  • You must provide a letterhead or business card with the following information:
    • Name to be displayed on the Will Call Box
    • Contact person (if different than the name label)
    • Complete address
    • Phone number
    • Fax number
    • Email address
  • You will be assigned a Will Call Box number and your box will be located in the Recording Department at the Main Courthouse.
  • There is no charge to set up a Will Call Box.

How do I receive documents in my Will Call Box?

  • You must note your Will Call Box number on each document on the first page, in the top left corner.
  • Will Call customers are responsible for picking up their documents in a timely manner.


What is eRecording?

eRecording is the secure electronic submission of documents to the Clerk & Comptroller’s office for recording in the Official Records of Palm Beach County.

What are the benefits of eRecording?

  • Submit electronically - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  • Expedites recording process
  • Increases efficiencies, streamlines work flow
  • Reduces payment errors
  • Improves document security – you retain original documents
  • Reduces time gap for recording

Can I record any document via eRecording?

Most documents can be processed using eRecording. The most commonly eRecorded documents are deeds, mortgages, assignment of mortgages and satisfaction of mortgages. However, certain document types cannot be eRecorded.

How do I submit documents using eRecording?

Visit the eRecording web page for a list of available third-party vendors. Once you create an account with the vendor of your choice, you may submit documents from any computer with Internet access and a scanner.

Who do I contact if I have a problem with eRecording?

Please contact the eRecording vendor you are working with to address any problems or questions you may have about their services.  You may also contact the Clerk & Comptroller's office with general questions about eRecording at eRecordinfo@mypalmbeachclerk.com or (561) 355-2296.



Contact Information

(561) 355-2996
Email Us
Fees & Costs
E-Newsletter Sign Up
Self Service Center
Time-Saving Tips